The Mom Blogs

Monday, July 5, 2010

moving...

I'm back again. Yes I know I suck at this but I don't care. I'm still going to try!
Lots has happened. I moved out from my in laws house to an apartment closer to my office so commute time has gone down significantly. This is the first time my husband and I are living on our own and its quite an amazing feeling - there's more privacy, there's more freedom to do things our way... We suddenly feel "grown up" because now all responsibilities that come with being on your own like killing the lizard in the bathroom and ensuring we don't keep lights on unnecessarily and getting locks etc fixed in the house rests with us alone!
At the same time there is a sense of sadness on leaving the in laws. My son was soooooo attached to his grandparents that he misses them terribly and is a little insecure at the changes... also being away from them also makes u feel like u hv moved away in so many other ways... There's a sense of guilt attached with that too. Questions that come to mind like are we being selfish wanting to live separately, am I depriving my son of his grandparents attention and love...
Obviously the decision to move was not an easy one but I do think it is the right one assuming we can maintain the relationships that have been affected in the process...and I think I need to now start working on that...
There was also mixed feelings about leaving the house I was married into. Lots of memories and good times in the 5 years I lived there. It felt strange to leave behind an empty room in a house full...
But on the bright side, there are many things I do enjoy about being in my own house - first and foremost it has brought me and my husband and son closer together...
We have more quality time we spend, we are becoming more responsible about running a home...
I hope the mixed feelings go away about leaving. I guess it will depend on how well I manage to keep the relationships strong and I am starting to make a plan in my mind on how to do just that! :)

2 comments:

  1. I hope it all works out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have probably made a decision based on 'your' requirements and desire. There is nothing wrong in following your wishes as long as you ready to accept same fate for yourself. It won't be as bad if there are other people to look after your FIL and MIL but still a decision of your husband to live away from his parents, denying their right of being looked out by him, keeping your child away from grandparents must be a tough one.

    ReplyDelete